Found A Lot Of Mold In Your Home? The Proper Way To Handle It

Posted on: 8 April 2016

Share

If you have a lot of mold in your home, such as in your bathroom, you need to clean it as quick as you can. Someone in your home may be sensitive to mold, which would cause them to become sick. Below are some tips on how to handle this mold properly so you can make your home a clean and safe place.

Wear the Right Gear

When you disrupt the mold spores, they are released into the air. You can then breathe these mold spores into your lungs. Once this happens, it can cause respiratory problems from a stuffy nose to a lung infection. To prevent this from happening, purchase a mold safety mask to block the spores. There are half-face mold safety masks, as well as masks that cover your entire face. When purchasing one, make sure it says 100% filtration, or at least close to this. You should also wear disposable gloves when dealing with the mold. Purchase goggles to protect your eyes. Wear pants and a long sleeved shirt to protect your skin.

Use the Right Cleaning Solution

You cannot clean mold using a mild cleaning solution, so instead use bleach to kill the mold spores. Using a stronger solution will ensure that the mold doesn't return in a few weeks. Fill a spray bottle with approximately 10% of bleach and fill the rest of the bottle up with water. Shake to make sure everything is mixed. Spray the bleach solution onto the mold spores and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.  After this time, use a damp cloth to scrub over the area to remove the mold. Throw the rag away when you are finished.

If you do not want to use bleach or any other harsh chemicals, you can make a natural solution yourself to remove mold. Fill up a spray bottle with white distilled vinegar. You do not need to add water to the bottle. Vinegar is a mild acid so you may have to use more than one application to completely remove the mold spores. Leave the vinegar on the mold for about an hour so it has time to remove the spores. If you still have problems, mix white distilled vinegar with baking soda until it forms a paste. Rub this mixture on the mold spores and let it sit for a few minutes. Use a damp cloth to scrub the area to remove the mold.

If you have a lot of mold in your home, call a mold remediation company like Colfax Corporation to safely remove it for you.